Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First day of work

That's right, I hate coffee even signed a contract saying that I wouldn't drink any during my years in college yet here I am working in a cafe. Basically all we did today we get trained on various jobs and I got stuck with the simplest ones. I started working the counter with Scott who ran the till (cash register for you Americans) while I got out cookies, iced brownies, and learned a bit about how to make some of the more basic drinks. In the first few hours from 10-12:30 things were chill with a few groups of adults of college kids trickling in, but the lunch rush hit with the boys from the local Catholic schools (the Jes and the Bish) and there was a line out the door for about 45 minutes and things were busy. It wasn't quite as overwhelmingly crazy as the rumors had it, but maybe today was a light day... we'll see.
Anyway, during the lunch rush I worked the floor which meant i hung out by the counter to deliver plates of food to the boys. I would look at the names on the docket and (if I knew how to pronounce it) would go around shouting it until I got a response. Worked pretty easily and none of them tried to mess with me or tried to steal the food. I had to tells some fools to stop throwing junk, but not much. Cleaning up tables when people were done and thus and such. It was a good time because you get to be out among the people and the more open ones will strike up a conversation or joke with you. Things quieted down pretty rapidly and we cleaned up from the rush while we got more tricklers. Now typically we would go to class after lunch at 3, but today Arden wanted us to get better trained so he canceled class to let us work more. As things wound down, it got easier to have conversations with people, some stimulated by the free specialty drinks we happened to have because Paul was teaching his cafe wizardry to Ben. It was a good time.
Later tonight we're going over to the interns' house in Salthill to watch an Irish comdey show called Black Books... apparently it's hilarious and I'm looking forward to it.

Update on the camera: I looked around on the internet and contacted some people and it would seem that I have two options: to send the card to Olympus for repair or to get a new one. Except Olympus keeps asking for my zip code as if I were in the US... not really too sure if I can mail it from Ireland. So later this week I might just have to go find a camera shop and buy a new xD card. Lame. Sorry about the lack of photos, but it's not like I could have my camera on me while I'm working so I wouldn't really have any for today anyway.

1 comment:

josiahdhatfield said...

At Wendy's, we called the black thing that held the money a "till."

Sounds like a splendid time so far.