Friday, February 8, 2008

Greystones revisited

No, I did not go back to Greystones as the title may suggest, but a little bit of it did come here to us: The TU ISP group and the Moeschbergers led by Brian King are in Galway and they came to An Tobar Nua yesterday morning! It was fun to see faces I recognized from back home and Kelsie enjoyed seeing her roommate. We sort of helped out with a tour Susan gave them of the place, but it was really just keeping them from going into our room where Ben was still waking up. The rest of the work day went pretty routinely but seeing people from Taylor and Kelsie’s reunion with her roommate reminded me how lonely it can get here. I was talking online with Rachel Aigner back home and I related to her that while this place is fascinating, new, and fun it’s also very hard because everyone is a new friend. I don’t have all of my old close friends from back home to rely on and to confide in. With the exception of Ben and Kelsie, almost all of the people I spend all of my hours with are people that I’ve known for a little over a week. I remember months back when we were still planning this endeavor, my good friend Jon Schelander was planning on coming with us and that fact comforted me very much. But when he backed out, my first reaction was that I would be horribly lonely with no one close to talk to, but it quickly dawned on me that it was God’s way of forcing me to rely on Him alone. Friends are great, but they are not infallible and I find myself putting more trust in them than they can humanly shoulder. By tearing me from the crutch of human friends, God has put me in a position where I can look for all that I need in Him. It’s hard but I know that it is for the better.
These are the things we chatted about with Leanna on the way back home after the greatest dinner ever.
That's right, Scotty too Hotty took us to Da Roberta's and it was beyond glorious! I got veal with ham and some sort of cheese I couldn't pronounce on a bed mushrooms and spinach. Every bite was stunning. Then I got some sort of chocolate ice cream with a shell dessert and it made my day. SO GOOD! Ah! After the silly microwave dinners we've been relegated to, this was a welcome treat!

In other news, travel plans are being ramped up. This Sunday, Ben, Kelsie and I are planning on catching a bus to Clifden and going hiking on the Sky Road. And I recently bought my tickets to Paris for spring break! Ah! I have to work on my Frencg... oh golly. Hopefully I'll have Devon around to translate for me though. :-) It'll be so good to see her and to see all the sights, like Normandy, Paris, and hopefully the Alps. But that's a ways off.

Today is Freudday again and I learned some Irish phrases from Megan and Paul: "Ta gra ag Iosa duit" which means "Jesus love you"! Very handy.

2 comments:

josiahdhatfield said...

They don't speak French in Paris.
It's disappointing.

That's not true ... they don't speak French to you b/c they know you're American.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. You make me sound like the badguy. I'm sorry I'm not there to hang out with you. It really would've been awesome. But I'm glad God is working through the act of my being absent. I still know that I made the right decision, so I'm confident that this is exactly what God had in store for you, as well. I look forward to the next update. Take care, Ben!